Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Widower's Tango: Ten Years Gone





"Changes fill my time, baby, that's alright with me

In the midst I think of you, and how it used to be."

(Robert Plant, "Ten Years Gone")



I started this blog quite unceremoniously ten years ago to this day. My opening post read: "Tired of seeing my words scattered on the web, in some unlikely places, I thought it might be wise to collect some of them in one place, my own place."


I was an armored car driver then living in my sister's house in Anchorage, Alaska. I had already given my boss notice that I was leaving the States in October to go and live for an undetermined period in the Philippines. I missed my first flight and didn't leave until November 7, 2007. I have tried to chronicle what has happened since in a number of posts on this blog.


It hasn't been the happiest decade of my life. Events beyond my control have lengthened my stay in the Philippines. I have stoically weathered two typhoons (in '08 and '13) and an earthquake (last July). My sister died suddenly last year at the age of 65. She was waiting - sometimes impatiently - for me to come home.


In October 2008 I discovered that I could utilize this blog to engage with my experience here among the tinkling palms, watching events unfold in the States from a distance, making sense of the chaotic country in which I live, continuing to watch and read and listen, and - most important - to dream. It has been quite a ride. Of all the things it has been for you, dear reader, I hope it hasn't been boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment